Monday, August 11, 2014

I Have to Wonder What's In the Water...

The South Bay New Orleans Jazz Club has some really old members, which if you think about it, isn't so surprising because New Orleans jazz has been around for Quite A Long Time. 

But:  their mobility is amazing.  Example:  Sara and I were watching the dancing couples and the distaff half of one pair was a woman I have privately called "Plastic Spring-o-laters"  because she is almost always wearing a pair.  I once complimented her on a particular pair and she said that she really should be careful with them as her provider in downtown L.A. was getting quite old and will probably quit making them soon.  

"Plastic" and her husband, a longtime member of the Hyperion Outfall Serenaders were jiving about the dance floor with considerable enthusiasm.  Sara said, "Did you know she was 90 on her last birthday?" and I was, as they say, gob smacked.    I would have said 60 or 65. 

While we were discussing this in awed tones, the lady who sells the raffle tickets came up to us and we told her what we'd been discussing and she said, "I'll be 89 in three weeks."  Double gob smack. 

Side bar:  Three different people approached me and told me they had read my (very brief) Letter to the Editor the other day and that they agreed with me where upon followed torrents of abuse about greedy politicians, impracticalness of a bullet train to San Francisco and more. 

I urged each of them to write to the Editor, telling them to write short to fill in spaces in the page.  That writing short improves their odds of having their say in an area of the paper that is clearly popular and well-read.

Before we ever got to the jazz club however, we had breakfast.  I'd wanted to see how this works - Corned Beef Machacas - and I have to say, "Well." 

Two or three slices of the "heart healthy" corned beef, coarsely chopped
1/3 of a green pepper, chopped
2 slices of onion, chopped
3 T chopped pickled jalapenos
2 eggs
slice of Velveeta
Butter too cook it all.
Start by frying the chopped ingredients.  Beat up the eggs and add them to the pan.  Cook until eggs are done, lay the cheese over the whole thing and serve on a warmed tortilla.




No comments: