Friday, November 29, 2013

Be Careful What You Wish For...

Yesterday I was whining about the lack of people around the dinner table.  I regretted it this morning when I read a story about two families in this morning's Daily Breeze.

The Comstocks and the Kirbys celebrated their 58th straight Thanksgiving dinner together.  When Kay Kirby and Irma Comstock Ajhar met, Kay was 23 with three little kids; Irma was 24 with two little kids.   When Irma learned that Kay who was from Canada had never celebrated Thanksgiving, she set out to remedy the situation and the two families have been celebrating it ever since.

Except that today, they require tables for 64 - four generations.  There are 15 children, 39 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.   And Kay and Irma.

This is what made me rue my words -- every year they take turns holding this massive dinner in their homes

I don't think you could crowd 64 people into our house, let alone serve them a dinner!  Clearly there's nothing wrong with a quiet dinner.

No comments: