Thursday, June 6, 2013

One of My Favorites

I have previously reviewed Hudson House (hudsonhousebar.com) at 514 Pacific Coast Highway, Redondo Beach, but as they change their menu, new rave items come up.

We had dinner there last night.  We ordered Toasted Edamame with Shishito Peppers in a garlic, soy, honey sauce and at first Richie turned up his nose at the thought of either one.  He was the one that asked for a box for the leftovers.  He couldn't get over the sauce. 

If I were going to try this at home, I'd glaze the bottom of a skillet with olive oil and semi-dry fry the edamames in their pods and set them aside.  Shishito peppers don't bring a lot to the dance, so I'd leave them out.  They're neither hot nor particularly flavorful.  Then I'd mix crushed raw garlic (from a jar), soy sauce and honey in the empty skillet and heat 'er up and pour it over the edamames. 

He likes the Pretzel Burger (a regular hamburger served on a pretzel croissant) and a glass of house cabernet.

I ordered the Pulled Pork on a grilled Pretzel Croiossant with Fennel-Poppyseed Dressing and sweet and sour pickles (three baby onions and a piece of cauliflower pickled in vinegar and beet juice and two "regular" pickle strips.)  The cole slaw is served on top of the meat.   It was huge!  The other half is lunch today. 

Happy hour lasts until 7 p.m. and I recommend going before seven -- the edamame deal was $3, not the $4 on the regular hours; the Happy Ale was $3.

No comments: