Saturday, May 25, 2013

Made Exclusively For Local Farmers' Markets

Yesterday I decided to graze the food court of the Hermosa Beach Farmers' Market.  I suddenly wanted Spicy Daikon to nibble on.  Spicy Daikon is:  square-cut daikon (Japanese radish version), raw carrot "squares" and slices of jalapeno pickles in rice wine vinegar.  Daikon tends to stay crisp so there's a satisfying crunch as you chew.  Dave's Gourmet Korean Food, 1277 N. Wilton Place, Los Angeles 90038   $5

Next a friendly woman working the Mayan Delicacy booth explained that the chocolate fudge on offer had walnuts, ghost peppers and a pinch of sea salt.  She said it was usually eaten with wine accompanying it.  I'm always on the lookout for something different so when she cut off a small chunk and offered it, I ate it.  It was good so I bought a small brick of it.  Mayan Delicacy, 25604 Narbonne, Lomita, CA   $5   

It wasn't until we were home and I tried Googling the above places to see what else they had to tempt me that I realized these products were made exclusively for peddling at farmers' markets.   What a good idea!  It's a great way to test a product - for both customer and purveyor.  

And, online, I picked up this tip:  to ripen a banana in 24 hours, put a banana in with it in the brown paper bag. 


No comments: