Thursday, January 10, 2013

Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware!

And I wasn't.  I remarked on  the fact that we got a new computer on January 5th, titled "Windows 8 Is Trying To Kill Me." 

Well, I'm beginning to be able to sort through all of the options of Windows 8 and I can tell you that they are repetitious and whether you left click the mouse or double tap the pad or swoosh! the whole works across the screen, it will very often not do what it is being asked to do.  Another big problem is that if I move the cursor, the print of whatever I'm looking at changes.

This is particularly noticeable in e-mails.  There I am tapping along and !  the print zips down to infinitely small; you can't really tell what you're looking at even though you do know it was - operative word - an e-mail. 

The reason for my frustrations finally dawned on me -- we bought a demo!  Hundreds of other people have played with it - including I don't doubt for a moment, little kids - and apparently busted the fly wheel or computer chip or whatever the hell it is that runs the cursor.

And while it did only cost $250, I am not willing to set it aside and buy another new computer. 

I will treat having to work with it as an exercise in developing patience.  Yes, that's what I'll do.   I will learn to do "saintly" and impress all who know me with unfailing kindness to a crazed computer program.  I can just see me, speaking softly and saying, "Oh, you don't want to work this afternoon?  That's all right, dear... I'll get back to you....I just have to run an errand at Best Buy." 

No comments: