Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Comeuppance of A Sort

We'd just walked into the Hermosa Beach library book sale this morning, when I was greeted by my friend Pat, a fellow Beach Cities Health District volunteer.

"Any of your books here?" she asked. I grinned and said, "I hope not!" We both laughed and then went about our business. Pickings were slim so I headed back to the car to wait for Richie.

When he did come, he said, "You know that little cabinet on your right as you come in the door? Your racing book is there!"

"No!" I was exceedingly startled because it's been out-of-print for all of five years. "I've got to get it!" And there it was.

It wouldn't have surprised me to see my second book there ("Dispatches From a Born-Again Cynic" amazon.com) and truth be told, I've often checked out the Humor section at book sales just to be sure it isn't there. So far, it hasn't been. So far.

I took it to the cashier ladies and proudly said, "I wrote this!" Suitably impressed, they examined it carefully, noting "That is you!" at the photo on the back jacket. Shamelessly, I preened - "How much is it?" I asked.

"A quarter" was the response. "That's all?" I gasped. "It sold for $19.95 and I netted $16,500 on this book!"

Aside to the IRS and the California Franchise Tax Board - and I paid every penny due you, too!

Twenty-five cents. Something of a comedown, you must admit.

GOOD DOG!
R I P Hootie
1996 - 2011

No comments: