Thursday, June 2, 2011

Triple Generation of Women

"My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space" by Lisa Scottoline St. Martin's Press 245 pages $22.95

Scottoline is a former lawyer turned author who has written 17 novels that were published in 30 countries. This is her second biographical effort, following "Why My Third Husband Will Be A Dog."

The book is a series of short essays on family events, past history, personal problems and her relationships with her mother (always referred to as "Mother Mary") and her daughter, Francesca. I's a perfect bathroom book -- a quick, easy read, bit by bit.

Her daughter chimes in with a chapter from time to time: "I am going to see my cousin's new apartment, but in Mom-speak that translates to: 'I am going to meet certain death in the New York subway tunnels that are soon to be my tomb.'"

It's a bit overblown -- specifically about how all three of them just love and adore the others; how she sleeps with four or five dogs (forget exact number) and two cats -- I wanted to say, "I get it awready!" But there are some funny moments in it as well.

No comments: