Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Daddy Declasse

"Sh*t My Dad Says" by Justin Halpern HarperCollins 158 pages $15.99

I think there's an expletive at least once on all 158 pages of this book and often several. "Bad language" can be funny as hell when it's used properly, i.e., every once in awhile to wake up the reader. Endless obscenities become boring in their predictability.

That said, the Dad is funny and his observations are trenchant, but there is a very strong thread running through this book of "You're my son, I love you; now go away" which is a mixed message indeed.

Some of Dad's advice...

On Furnishing One's Home: "Pick your furniture like you pick a wife; it should make you feel comfortable and look nice, but not so nice that if someone walks past it they want to steal it."

On House Sitting: "Call me if something's on fire and don't screw in my bed."

On the Death of Our First Dog: "He was a good dog. Your brother is pretty broken up about it, so go easy on him. He had a nice last moment with Brownie before the vet tossed him in the garbage."

No comments: