Friday, December 17, 2010

The Office Christmas Party

In 1996, when I self-published my first book, I decided it would be prudent to get a California DBA. Thus Murf Ink was born. Richie didn't retire from a Major American Airline (MAA) until 2003 (I think) so every year, I would grab whatever book I was reading, go to McDonald's and have a quarter pounder, small fries and a caramel sundae and eat it in the car. This was my office Christmas party and I was well content with it.

Richie retired and although he's not listed at all on the DBA, he now gets to go to the office Christmas party lunch. I didn't put him on it as while I had/have no idea what I could be sued about, his pockets are deeper than mine. Frankly, if you decide to come after me financially, don't waste your time. You can't get blood out of a turnip nor money out of me.

All week long, he has been agitating about this free lunch. He claims, "Staff are dissatisfied; they're beginning to grumble!" I consulted "staff" two cats and a cockatiel and the bird looked bored and both cats were asleep. So much for dissension in the ranks.

Today, he (who has nothing to do with the DBA; I am listed as OEO or only executive officer) decided we would lunch at Creme de la Crepe, Hermosa Beach (previously reviewed.) Off we sailed. We each had a savory crepe, a dessert crepe and he had a cup of coffee. The tab came to $40 (before tip) and I thought to myself, "This is a pretty far cry from a $1.75 hamburger." Back then I was making money and now I'm not. Do you think maybe I got something wrong here?

No comments: