Sunday, July 26, 2009

SCAM ALERT

Background: In 2000, I went to the State of California offices in Norwalk, CA, and purchased a DBA (Doing Business As.) I had to look through microfilms of other names to be sure that Murf Ink had not been taken. I paid the State $10 and a newspaper an additional $60 to publish this news for a certain period of time. Five years later, in 2005, I renewed it for, I believe, $10 (and no newspaper ads necessary.)

COMES NOW (I love this phrase from my legal secretary days) yesterday's mail and a notice from "Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center" of Sacramento telling me that my DBA is about to expire and to send them my personal check or money order in the amount of $100.00 before July 31, 2009.

The notice looked official (a form) but I knew renewal wasn't until next year and would only be for $10. So I googled the address -- sure enough, it existed, complete with map. But below that -- my eye was caught by a Scam Alert site which said it was a scam.

I ripped it in half, snorting "Hah! As if!" When I cooled down (my indignation knows no bounds when solicited for money I don't owe) I decided to take it to the Post Office and their Mail Fraud department. (So I had to tape it back together.)

I e'd our councilman as he takes a great interest in anything that might affect "his people." I notified the Better Business Bureau. I'm telling you in this blog. I'm not angry enough to fly to Sacramento and blow up their building. Besides, I hate sudden loud noises.

No comments: