Monday, January 19, 2009

Minor Discoveries

Broccoli I'll eat it at home, but never in a restaurant. Why? Because at home I can hide the flavor! Old stand-bys include steaming it and then saucing it with oyster or char siu sauce. Recently I discovered something new to do -- take the raw brocoli and trim it and then mercilessly chop it up. That's right - express your hostility! Then put a slick of olive oil in a skillet big enough to hold the broccoli and toss it in. Stir well and put a lid on it. Check it after a bit and if it seems to be cooking, well add 2 T Trader Joe's Black Pepper Sauce and 1 T of water. Stir well, put the lid back on and turn off the burner.

Pork Chops I Start saute-ing pork loin chops. When one side is done, flip it over and "butter" it with Dijon mustard. Carefully put little bits of Swiss cheese on the mustard. When the cheese melts, the other side of the chop is done. Richie found this recipe somewhere and loves it.

Pork Chops II Ever since I thought of it, I've been curious to see what chopped bits of dried apricot, raisins and cranberries would do for a plain bread dressing. Noticing we had two end slices of sandwich bread (we don't eat them but a baguette end is delicious) I made dressing -- touch of sage, lots of black pepper, bread, broth and my fruit bits. I baked it separately since I had more dresing than chops. Worked out well and it's an alternative to potatoes or pasta and a good way to use bread heels.

No comments: