Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Broccoli (Ugh)

When George Bush, #41, said he hated broccoli, I cheered. I cannot imagine just steaming it, adding a little "butter" and pepper and actually eating it. It just tastes "too green" for me. I do cook it; I do serve it, but I sauce it with oyster sauce, or soy or hoisin or... or... something! Not naked broccoli.

Bon Appetit arrived yesterday and in the 'I ate at such-and-such restaurant and really loved the (fill in food item) - can you get the recipe?" column some deranged person wrote in from Seattle (rain-damaged brain?) raving about the "Broccoli Blasted" served at the Black Bottle restaurant. (I would have reversed the title, but ...)

Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Red Pepper
1 1/4 lbs. broccoli crowns, cut into florets -- 8 cups (argh!)
3 1/2 T olive oil, divided into equal portions (1 3/4? Not good at fractions)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Big pinch of dried, crushed red pepper

Oven at 450. Toss the broccoli in one of the olive oil portions; spread it out on a rimmed backing sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Put the garlic and red pepper in the rest of the olive oil and drizzle it over the broccoli, tossing it a bit with a spatula. Roast it a bit longer -- about 8 minutes -- until the broccoli begins to brown. Remove it, put it in a dish and serve it.

I looked at this and had to admit that roasted asparagus turned out well; perhaps this would, too. You give it a try and get back to me. I'll just wait here for your report ...

No comments: