Monday, November 24, 2008

6 of 1; Half-a-dozen of the Other

The other day, Richie said, "I want to make this" thrusting a Bon Appetit "Tastes of the World" cookbook at me. Experience has taught me to be wary of these pronouncements and I've trained him to always show me the recipe.

I scanned through "Spiced Beef with Chilis and Vegetables" (Mexico) and said, 'Why don't you just make chili, add a potato, a carrot and a can of beef broth." He frowned.

"Why don't you use stewing beef, not the hamburger they're calling for and have a kind of a Mexican daube?"

"We'll see," was his response.

Do it your way is my suggestion, but I have to say the stewing beef worked wonderfully.

SPICED BEEF WITH CHILIS AND VEGETABLES
1 T olive oil
1 lb. ground beef or stewing beef
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 14.5 oz. can diced peeled tomatoes (I'd leave them out; hate canned tomatoes)
12 oz. potato, peeled and sliced
1 large carrot, diced
2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 teas. dried oregano
2 teas. chili powder
1 teas. ground cumin
1/2 teas. ground allspice

Brown the meat, onions and garlic; add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are done, about 15 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat and cook until liquid thickens - another five minutes. (Or after you put it all together, put the lid on, and stick it in a 300 degree oven for an hour. - My Way.)

No comments: